Our children’s counsellor focuses on creating a safe and nurturing environment and forming a therapeutic relationship with the child based on empathy, unconditional positive regard and genuineness. The child is supported to work through their worries and problems through the facilitation of holistic, creative and developmentally age appropriate methods.
As part of our psychology services we can offer;
- Developmental, behavioural, emotional, psychosocial assessment.
- Educational Assessments
- Cogmed Working Memory Training
- Austism Assessments
- Skype Counselling
Can our Psychologist help you and your family?
Counselling your child through psychology can assist your child to:
- Develop more harmonious and enjoyable relationships with family and friends
- Improve their self esteem and resilience
- Learn that their feelings are valid and acceptable and increase their vocabulary around feelings, thoughts and actions
- Learn to respect and accept themselves
- Learn to self-regulate thoughts, feelings and behaviour (age appropriately)
- Learn to be creative and resourceful in confronting problems in a positive way
- Support you in your parenting and understanding of yourself as a person and parent
Child Psychology is based on effective evidence based techniques which support a range of children’s emotional, social, developmental and behavioural difficulties that may have been triggered by trauma related experiences such as:
abuse and neglect
school difficulties or bullying
death of a loved one or pet
bonding and attachment issues
fears, sadness, worry or shyness
making and keeping friends
sibling of a child with disability
sibling of a child with a chronic illness
physical symptoms without any medical causes
For further discussion about the process and suitability of psychology, a parent/caregiver can book an initial parent consultation with our children’s psychologist by calling our Thornbury clinic on (03) 8376 6399.